Using Search Engines for Findings and Assignments Primary 5/Basic 5 Term 2 Week 3 Information Technology/Computer Studies
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Search Engines | Types of Search Engines | Uses of Search Engines Primary 5/Basic 5 Term 2 Week 2 Information Technology/Computer Studies
TOPIC – SEARCH ENGINES
2. Using Search Engines for Findings and Assignments
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives – use search for findings and assignments.
The pupils can use dictionary to find meaning.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A functional computer system with internet access software
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Search engine is a website that allows a computer user find information on the Internet.
The following are examples of search engines – Google, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex, DuckDuckGo, Ask.com, Ecosia, Aol.com, Internet Archive, etc.
USING SEARCH ENGINES FOR FINDINGS
Focus findings –
1. Information about your school.
2. The number of states in Nigeria.
3. The Capital of Nigeria
4. The number of Senator and House of Representatives in Nigeria.
5. The Capital of Lagos State and where it is located.
6. The list of Local Government in Lagos.
7. The picture of Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
LESSON 2 – USING SEARCH ENGINE FOR ASSIGNMENT
Focus topics –
1. What is computer?
2. Find the meaning of search engine.
3. State 5 types of search engines.
4. Mention 5 uses of search engines.
Note – Lesson 1 and Lesson 2 should be carried out in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
LESSON 3 – GROUP’S OR PAIR’S PRESENTATION
Teacher organizes hands on presentation from each group or pair.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps – he/she,
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson review.
2. Organizes the pupils in groups or pairs.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify your group.
3. Gives each group or pair the list of findings and assignments.
Pupil’s Activities – Know the contents of your group findings and assignments.
4. Assigns to each group or pairs the specific search engine to use for their findings and assignments.
Pupil’s Activities – Use the assign search engine.
5. Checks responses and gives support where necessary.
Pupil’s Activities – Asks for assistance and support where necessary.
6. Calls each group or pair for presentation. If available, print out their works for presentation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the group presentation.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Understanding Electronic Mail – Meaning of Electronic Mail (Email) | How to Create Email Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 4 Computer Studies
Ask pupils to use search engine for findings and assign.