NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Civic Education | Why We Study Civic Education Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 1 Civic Education
TOPIC – CIVIC EDUCATION
1. Introductory Activities
2. The Concept of School and Why School is Important
3. Ways through which Civic Education can be important through schools
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of school.
2. state the importance of school.
3. mention ways through which civic education can be important through schools.
The learners known the Do’s and Don’ts of the school.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing teacher and pupils in class/school.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Civic Education is a subject that teaches us our duties and responsibilities as members of the communities. Our duties and responsibilities include our beliefs, commitments, capabilities, and actions as members of communities
In civil education, we learn our duties towards the government and our community and also, the duties and responsibilities of the government towards us.
WAYS THROUGH CIVIC EDUCATION CAN BE IMPORTANT
Civic education can be important through,
3. Mass media
MEANING OF SCHOOL
School is a place where children learn to function well in their world or community.
WHY SCHOOL IS IMPORTANT
The reasons why school is important are as follows:
1. To teach social skills.
2. To helps young people build confidence.
3. To introduce the young people to future goals.
4. To encourages critical thinking.
5. To give students a variety of opportunities.
6. To builds communities.
7. To reduces poverty.
8. To ensure gender equality.
Source – 10 Reason Why School Is Important
LESSON 2 – WAYS THROUGH CIVIC EDUCATION CAN BE IMPORTANT THROUGH SCHOOL
The ways through which civic education can be important at schools are as follows:
1. Build confidence through learning basic skills.
2. Acquire knowledge
3. Relate and communicate with one another.
4. Be informed about the world around.
5. Prepare for the future.
6. Develop talents
7. Work together.
8. Be an active member of the community.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND TEST
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class and available instructional materials.
3. Teacher displays chart showing school and its functions.
4.. Teacher guides pupils as groups or pairs to identify and analyze the importance of schools.
5. Teacher listens to the pupils and uses their relevant points to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of school and its importance.
6. Teacher explains the meaning of school and its importance.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of schools in their communities.
7. Teacher uses the importance of school to introduce and explain the importance of civic education in the schools.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze and state the importance of civic education in their school.
8. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board by using appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
School is a place where children are learn to function well in their world or community. Civic education in very important in our school because it builds our confidence….
Ways through which Civic Education can be Important at Home Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 3 Civic Education
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. Explain the meaning of school.
2. State 4 reasons why school is important.
3. Mention 5 ways through which civic education is important through school.
1. __________ is a place where children learn to function well in their world or community.
2. __________ is a subject that teaches us our duties and responsibilities as members of the communities.
A. Civic Education
B. Social Education
C. English Education
3. One of these is not the reason why school is important.
A. To prepare for the future
B. To increase poverty
C. To work together
4. The ways through which civic education can be important are as follows except __________.
A. To reduce poverty
B. To become greedy
C. To develop talent
5. Gender discrimination is an unequal treatment between boys and girls.