Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: Parts of Speech – Pronoun
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor):
- identify pronouns;
- use pronouns in making sentences.
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Course book
- Real objects
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
A pronoun a word used instead (to replace a noun) of a noun.
TYPES OF PRONOUNS
A personal pronoun is a pronoun used to represent people or things. For example – I, you, he, she, it, we, they.
A demonstrative pronoun is a pronoun used to replace specific people or things in a context. For examples – this, that, these and those.
An interrogative pronoun is a pronoun used to ask questions. For examples – who, whom, whose, which and what.
Whoever, whomever, whichever, and whatever can also be interrogative pronouns.
An indefinite pronoun is a pronoun used for non specific person or thing. For example – the common ones are all, any, anyone, anything, each, everybody, everyone, everything, few, many, nobody, none, one, several, some, somebody, and someone.
A possessive pronoun is a pronoun used to replaces a possessive adjective and a noun.
A reciprocal pronoun is a pronoun used to express mutual relationship. For example – each other and one another.
A relative pronoun is a pronoun used to identify or describe a noun. For example – that, who, which, whom, whose.
A reflexive pronoun is a pronoun used to avoid repeating a particular person or thing. For example – myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains pronouns;
- Guides pupils to identify pronouns;
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify pronouns.
- Guides pupils to use nouns and pronouns in sentences;
- Pupil’s Activities – Use nouns and pronouns in making sentences.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Pupil to: identify pronouns in statements/sentences and construct five sentences using pronouns.