Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – IMPORTANCE OF GOVERNMENT (PRIMARY 5)
TOPIC: FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNMENT
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- state the function of government by writing some facilities provided by government.
- compare the functions of government with that of the family and school.
- identify the key value of government functions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- The Nigerian Constitution
- Budget speech
- Video clips on focus, progress, report, etc.
- Newspapers report on government activities.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
FUNCTION OF GOVERNMENT
Government functions include duties, policies, programmes decision maker for the good of all:
1. It makes policies and programmes for the good of all.
2. It protects lives and property.
3. It provides social amenities such as potable water, schools, hospitals, electricity, and roads.
4. It provides employment for the people.
5. It also creates favourable economic environment for the people.
6. Government defends the country against external attack from other countries.
7. It makes laws which guide the citizens.
8. It maintains law and order.
9. It administers justice and equity.
10. It promotes a good relationship between her and other countries.
Agencies through which the government carry out the duties are –
1. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
2. All Federal Ministries such as Federal Ministry of Education, Justice, Finance, Defence, External Affairs
3. The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NADFAC)
4.The Nigerian Ports Authority
5. The Nigerian Army National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and control (NDLEA)
6. The Nigerian Postal Service
7. The Nigeria Police Force (NPF).
SOME MAJOR VALUES OF GOVERNMENT FUNCTIONS
3. Justice and equity
6. Faithfulness and integrity
7. Promotion of human rights
8. Cordial external relations
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to state functions of the school.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe functions of the family, school, etc.
3. Asks pupils to name some government ministers.
Pupil’s Activities – List out government ministers at state and federal levels.
4. Appoints pupils to read the constitution budget speech, etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Read chapter II of 1999 constitution.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson
1. write 3 functions of Government.
2. write out 2 key values of government function.
3. compare family or school functions with those of government.