THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Methods of Controlling Farmers Enemies | Workbook Assessment Primary 2 (Basic 2) – Agriculture
TOPIC – PLANTS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Common Crop Plants Around
3. Parts of a Plant
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Name parts of a plant.
3. Draw or sketch a plant.
The pupils can identify come plants like maize and yam.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Freshly up-rooted crop plant specimen e.g. Maize, mango, pawpaw, etc.
2. Chart of well labeled crop plant.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Take the pupils for a walk with the school compound to identify different plants (flowers and crops).
Pupil’s Activities – This is flower, mango tree, grass, maize, etc.
Teacher’s remark – Correct. Plants are crops, flowers and grasses that grown in the soil. Uproot two different plants (fresh) for the pupils to examine (observe) and identify different parts of a plant.
Helps the pupils identify common parts of plants and note on the board.
PARTS OF A PLANT
The main parts of a plant include:
LESSON 2 – DRAW AND LABEL PARTS OF A LEAF
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Takes pupils round the school compound.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe plants around the school compound.
3. Helps them identify some plants and name their parts.
Pupil’s Activities – Name some plants and identify their parts.
4. Displays chart showing parts of a plant.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label parts of a plant.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. Identify parts of any plant.
2. Draw and label any plant.
Weekly Assessment (Test)
Label each part of the plant below –
Draw and label parts of a plant in question 1.