Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: Reasons for Scarcity of Water
Related Posts on water – water cycle basic 5, water projects in Nigeria basic 6, water transportation basic 4, reasons for water scarcity.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- give reasons why water is sometimes scarce.
- list the consequences of water shortage in Nigeria.
- suggest ways of overcoming water shortage.
- discuss the relationship between population and water supply.
The pupils are required to already know uses of water.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart of different sources of water.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
REASONS FOR SCARCITY OF WATER
Water is very important to everybody. But sometimes, it becomes scarce because of certain factors or conditions:
- Overuse of Water
- Water Wastage
- Shortage of power supply
- Inadequate water project
- Restriction by Governments
CONSEQUENCES OF WATER SHORTAGE IN NIGERIA
- It leads to inadequate power.
- It leads to decrease in agricultural products.
- It leads to decrease in industrial products.
- It leads to spreading of water borne diseases.
WAYS OF OVERCOMING SCARCITY OF WATER
The problems caused by water shortage can be solved through the following measures:
- Government should provide more funds for the water corporation.
- People should pay their water rates.
- Provision of stable water supply.
- Avoid waste of water.
- Stop dump refuse inside the rivers, streams, etc.
POPULATION AND WATER SUPPLY
Increase in population growth leads to increase in demand for water. Available water supply becomes inadequate and creates needs for more water.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils to state reasons for shortage of water.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the reasons for shortage of water.
- Guides the pupils to state ways of overcoming the scarcity of water.
- Pupil’s Activities – State ways of overcoming the scarcity of water.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – revision and examination.
Pupils to answer the following questions.
SECTION A – as stated in the performance objectives.
1. Increase in demand of water is as result of ____________________.
(b) lack of rain
2. Spreading of water borne disease is because ___________________.
(a) access to clean water
(b) access to unclean water
(c) not sure
3. ____________________ will lead to decrease in agricultural and industrial products.
(a) Scarcity of raw materials
(b) Scarcity of farmland
(c) Scarcity of water
4. Prompt payment of water bill will make ____________________.
(a) water projects to easy
(b) increase water cooperation fund
(c) water to be cheap
State 2 reasons for water scarcity.
List 2 consequences of shortage of water.
Mention 2 ways of overcoming scarcity of water.