Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PREVIOUS LESSON – Practical Demonstration on Kitchen Hygiene (Primary 5)
TOPIC: BOILING METHOD
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. discuss the different boiling methods.
2. state advantages and disadvantages of boiling method.
The pupils are required to already know how to cook.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing the different cooking methods.
2. Food ingredients for meal preparation.
3. Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
4. Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
COMMON COOKING METHODS
Boiling method is the process of cooking food in boiling water. Examples are rice, beans, yam, egg, meat, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF BOILING METHOD
1. It is easy and quick method.
2. It makes food soft.
3. It makes food easy for digesting.
4. Many foods can be cooked by boiling.
DISADVANTAGES OF BOILING METHOD – Some foods nutrients can be lost in boiling water, e.g. vitamin.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides discussion on boiling methods of cooking.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
3. Gives a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list five common methods of cooking.
2. cook using boiling method of cooking.
3. state 2 advantages of boiling method.
3. state 2 disadvantages of boiling method.