Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – TEAMWORK
TOPIC – INTRODUCTION TO DANCE
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- identify and explain a traditional dance.
- watch a video of a traditional dance.
- perform a specified traditional/cultural dance.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Musical instuments e.g. Drums, Gong, Pattlers or Shakers, Wooden drums, Clappers, Xylophones, etc; Pictures of dancers performing; DVDs or VCDs Recording of dances.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – CULTURAL CREATIVE ARTS for Primary 1, A K Badaru, C Ndubuisi, G Akinsola, A Abdul, S A Akinsowo, A Oni
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
Related Posts –
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Play a suitable Nigerian music that will make the pupils to dance. Be sure that they are dancing and asks, what are you doing? Expected response – we are dancing.
MEANING OF DANCE
Dance is the movement of the body. We dance to the rhythm of the song or the beat of the instruments.
TYPES OF DANCE
- Foreign dance
- Traditional (Local) dance
Foreign dance is non Nigerian dance. Traditional dance is the dance that represent our culture and traditions.
Play DVD player showing both foreign and traditional dance.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Perform basic dancing moves with the pupils.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Plays CD players that make the pupils to dance.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the music.
- Explains what traditional dances are and their uses.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify traditional dances.
- Play DVD player and demonstrates a specified local dance using the basic movements.
- Pupil’s Activities – Watch and practices a specified dance guided by the teacher. Imitate the dance movement as observed in the video.
- Introduces drumming.
- Pupil’s Activities – Perform in a group with musical accompaniment.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Functional Art
Pupils to –
- identify one traditional dance of their area.
- perform a specified dance in a group.