Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (ATTITUDE TO VICTIMS OF NATURAL DISASTER)
PREVIOUS LESSON – PROBLEMS CREATED BY BAD LEADERSHIP
TOPIC – MEANING OF NATURAL AND UNNATURAL DISASTER
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to differentiate between natural and unnatural disaster.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pictures of disaster caused by nature.
- List of disaster caused by human beings and animals.
- Community members may be consulted.
- Textbooks, newspapers and magazines video clips.
- First aid box, video clips of emergency aid.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Lets the pupils identify and describe the events on the chart.
MEANING OF NATURAL DISASTERS
Natural disasters are disasters that are caused by nature.
EXAMPLES OF NATURAL DISASTER
- Volcanic eruptions
- Wild fires
MEANING OF UNNATURAL DISASTERS
Unnatural disaster are disasters that are caused by actions of human beings and animals. Unnatural disasters are called man-made disasters.
EXAMPLES OF UNNATURAL DISASTER
- Fire accidents
- Transportation accidents of various kinds (air, road, rail, water)
- Collapsed mines
- Chemical accidents
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the meaning of disaster with examples.
- Pupil’s Activities – Provide more examples of disasters.
- Differentiates between the two types.
- Pupil’s Activities – Classify a list of disaster into natural and unnatural.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Some Common Natural Disaster/Causes of Natural Disaster
- State the meaning of disasters.
- Differentiate between natural and unnatural disaster.