Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – INTERNAL FEATURES OF SYSTEM UNIT
TOPIC – Storage Devices
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- explain the term storage device.
- identify types of internal storage devices.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Hard Disk
- Floppy disk
- Compact disk
- Flash disk
- Magnetic tape
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Storage device is one of the parts of system unit.
MEANING OF STORAGE DEVICES
Storage devices are devices where data or information are storage.
TYPES OF COMPUTER STORAGE DEVICES
There are two types of storage devices, Internal and external storage devices.
This is the secondary storage devices. These storage devices are removable.
They include –
- Compact disk (CD – ROM)
- Memory card
- DVD – ROM
- Flash Drive
Guides the pupils to find external storage devices on computer monitor.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Displays and explain a system unit on the table.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain a system unit on the table.
- Leads pupils to identify the front features of the system unit.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify the front features of the system unit.
- Provides the pupils with diskette, compact disc, memory card and flash drive.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify diskette, compact disc, memory card and flash drive.
- Guides pupils to locate appropriate port for each of the external storage devices.
- Pupil’s Activities – Locate appropriate port for each of the external storage devices.
- Puts on the computer system and guides the pupils locate each of these devices on the computer monitor.
- Pupil’s Activities – Locate each of these devices on the computer monitor.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Internal Storage Devices
1. Explain the term, ‘storage device’.
2. Mention 2 types of storage devices.
2. List 4 types of external storage.