Last Updated on July 18, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
WEEK 7 – A GOOD QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
WEEK 8 – A POOR QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – EFFECTS OF SOIL EROSION
TOPIC – ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
1. Meaning of a Good or Poor Environment
2. Meaning of Environmental Quality
3. Advantages of Healthy Environment
4. Disadvantages of Degraded Environment
5. Maintaining Healthy Environment
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the advantages of a healthy environment.
2. state the disadvantages of degrading the environment.
3. identify ways of maintaining healthy and beautiful school environment
4. list materials for maintaining healthy environment.
Heaps of refuse
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Materials – brooms, rakes, hoes, cutlasses, machetes, baskets.
Pictures of an attractive and unattractive surrounding.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1/DATE – INTRODUCTION
The quality of the environment that people live in will determine how healthy or unhealthy they will be.
A good quality environment is an healthy environment that is safe for living.
A poor quality environment is an unhealthy environment which unsafe for living.
MEANING OF A QUALITY OR HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
A healthy environment refers to an environment that is free of disease causing things life like heaps of refuse, pollution, flies and mosquitoes, etc.
It is important for us to take proper care of our environment if we want to live free from illness and diseases.
ADVANTAGES OF HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
1. It makes our environment attractive.
2. It makes people to be at peace and free from noise.
3. It helps keep clean our world.
4. It prevents diseases, infections, water borne diseases and pollution.
5. It helps improve our health and living habits.
6. It is safe for living.
7. It improves the quality of life.
WAYS OF MAINTAINING HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
1. By sweeping the classroom and the school compound.
2. By sprinkling water on the floor before sweeping.
3. By picking refuse.
4. By cleaning the gutters.
5. By disposing of refuse properly.
6. By cutting grass low in the playing fields and lawns;
7. By planting flowers.
8. By washing floors of classrooms regularly.
9. By dusting the tables and chairs.
THE MATERIALS FOR A HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT
MEANING OF POOR QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
An unhealthy environment is an environment that is not free of disease causing things life like heaps of refuse, pollution, flies and mosquitoes, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF POOR QUALITY ENVIRONMENT
1. It is unattractive environment.
2. It makes people to be restless – high noise or crowded environments.
3. It makes people to be sick and uncomfortable – air pollution.
4. It full of pests and diseases.
5. It is a breeding ground from insects, flies and mosquitoes.
6. It makes the soil unproductive – soil erosion.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
Leads class discussion on environmental environmental quality.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion
Helps pupils plan clean and beautify their school environment.
Pupil’s Activities – Plant flowers to beautify the school surrounding.
Pupil’s Activities – Sweep and clean their school surrounding everyday.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson, week 9 – waste and waste disposal
1. state four advantages of a healthy environment
2. mention three disadvantages of degrading our surrounding
3. state two ways of beautifying the environment.
4. list four materials for maintaining a healthy environment.