BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – CLASSIFICATION OF FOOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – THE FEEDING SYSTEM – TEETH, TONGUE AND LIPS
TOPIC – TYPES AND USES OF FOOD
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define food.
2. name the different types of food.
3. identify food materials in their homes.
4. classify foods as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and oil.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of food chart showing various food items – yam, potatoes, pepper, vegetables, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 1 – WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE FOODS
- Rice and beans
- Indomine and egg
- Plantain and beans
- Rice and plantain with stew
- Pounded yam with egusi soup
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 2 – STATE THE REASONS FOR EATING FOOD
We eat for the following reasons –
- Preventing disease
- Fighting disease
- Social enjoyment
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 3 – EXPLAIN WHAT FOOD IS
Foods are nourishing substance that we eat and drink, or taken into the body for healthy living.
Teacher’s remark – Support the pupil’s definition.
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 4 – CLASSIFICATION OF FOOD
Carbohydrates are energy given food and found in food like rice, noodles, bread and other products that have grains.
Fats and oils are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth. They are found in foods like meat, fish, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
Minerals are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc. Minerals can be found meat, fish, poultry, grains.
Proteins are for growth, maintain or repair tissues and found in food like rice, beans, dairy products, fish, meat, eggs.
Vitamins help to regulate and boost immune system of the body. They can be found in almost any product on the Earth.
Water support life and needed on regular basis.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Allows pupils to suggest reasons for eating food.
Pupil’s Activities – Suggest reasons for eating food.
3. Guides pupils to mention various types of food.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention various types of food.
4. Guides pupils to classify these food.
Pupil’s Activities – Classify food according to their group.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- state the meaning of food.
- list three (3) food items in home.
- give an example of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fats and oils.
- state three (3) reasons for eating food.