Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – SAFETY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Materials Needed to Grow Crops (Primary 4)
TOPIC – SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to state the safety measures in applying chemicals on farm.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chemicals, water, gloves, face or eyes glasses and watering can.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
SAFETY MEASURES IN APPLYING CHEMICALS ON FARM
Fertilizer and other farm’s chemicals are very harmful to man and animals if not handled with care. Below are safety measures when applying chemicals on the farmland –
1. Do not use your hands to mix chemicals.
2. Use knapsack sprayer and other spraying equipment to spray, wear protective clothing like gloves, googles and masks.
3. Do not use your mouth to blow the nozzle of the sprayer when it is blocked.
4 Do not use your mouth or teeth to open a chemical bottle.
5. Do not eat, drink or smoke while working with pesticides. –
7. Observe the wind direction when spraying
8. After applying pesticides, always take a thorough bath or shower to clean your body.
9. If you notice any symptoms like headache or if you don’t feel well after working with chemicals, see a doctor immediately.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discuss with pupils safety measure in applying chemicals on farmland.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to state 5 safety measures in mixing and applying chemicals on farmland.