Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: CONCEPT AND MEDIUM OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
TOPIC – MARKETING OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
1. Meaning of Marketing and Market
2. Types of Agricultural Market
3. Problems of Marketing Agricultural Produce in Nigeria Marketing Agent
4. Marketing Agent
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. differentiate between marketing and market.
2. state different types of agricultural market.
3. identify the problems of agricultural markets.
4. explain the term – market agent.
Different agricultural markets – where they can buy yam, tomatoes, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart showing different crops.
2. Chart shows different agricultural markets.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF MARKET AND MARKETING
Market is a public place where people meet to buy or sell things. That’s, a place where the buyer and sellers meet for exchange of goods for cash.
A market can be a special building, stall or an open space.
Agricultural market is a market where people gather to buy or sell agricultural products or crops such as yam, tomatoes, onions, etc.
Marketing is the method of creating awareness about a product or service that promote the selling the good or service.
Marketing includes advertising, selling, and delivering products to consumers or other businesses.
Agricultural marketing covers the services involved in moving an agricultural product from the farm to the consumer.
TYPES OF AGRICULTURAL MARKET
1. Local Market
This is a market where different buyers and sellers meet for the purchase and sale of farm products. It usually common within a village.
2. Primary markets
This market exist between two or more villages where market is rotate among the villages on a particular day depending on the number of villages.
3. Secondary market
This is a large market where agricultural products are grade, brand and package for whole sales.
4. Terminal markets.
This is international market where agricultural products are export to another country.
PROBLEMS OF MARKETING AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE IN NIGERIA
1. Poor transport system.
2. Little or no storage facilities.
3. Low quality of agricultural products.
4. Low productivity.
5. Little or no credit facilities.
6. High interest rate on loan.
7. Illiterate and ignorance.
8. Over dependent of foreign agricultural products.
9. Lack of agricultural processing and packaging equipments.
10. To many middlemen.
11. Poor government policy.
12. Land tenure system.
Marketing agents are personnel responsible for distribution between farmers and different users.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Asks student to define a market.
3. Explain what marketing means.
Student’s Activities – Differentiate between market and marketing agricultural products.
4. Diseases different types of agricultural market with the students.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
5. Discusses the problems of marketing agricultural produce in Nigeria.
Student’s Activities – Identify the problems of marketing agricultural produce in Nigeria.
6. Leads students to define agricultural marketing agents.
Student’s Activities – Define agricultural marketing agents.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. differentiate between market and marketing.
2. state and explain four types of agricultural market.
3. state five problems of agricultural markets.
4. explain the term – market agent.