Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
THEME – CUSTOM AND TRADITION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Types of Festivals (Primary 2)
TOPIC – FESTIVALS
1. Things Associated with Festivals
2. Important Values Derived from Festivals
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify the different types of ceremonies.
2. give example of each type of ceremonies.
3. mention important values derived from some of the ceremonies.
4. identify materials associated with ceremonies.
Christian, Muslim and Cultural Festivals
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Pictures of festival’s events, food types, clothing and costumes.
Picture of animals, books, video films, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Festivals are ceremonies that brings people together mostly once in a year.
For example, the Christian, Muslim and Cultural festivals are often celebrated in ways that are unique to the people of a Locality. During this period, there are a lot of food, drinks, people sing or listen to music and dance.
IMPORTANT VALUES DERIVED FROM CEREMONIES
1. Festivals bring people together.
2. Festivals promote the people’s culture.
3. Festivals strengthen relationships.
4. Festivals educate and enlighten the youth about their culture.
5. Festivals encourage love and sharing among one another.
MATERIALS ASSOCIATED WITH CEREMONIES
1. Animals – Chickens, Rams, Goats, Cows, Dogs, etc.
2. Food – Rice, Yam, Semo, etc.
3. Clothing – Lace, Ankara, Traditional Outfits or costumes, etc.
5. Other includes – salt, kolanuts, sugarcane, palm oil, palm wines, bitter kola, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the important values like unity, honesty, loyalty derived from the festivals.
Pupil’s Activities – Suggest benefits derived from festivals.
3. Guides the pupils to mention things associated with festivals.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention materials associated with specific festivals.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. mention 2 important values derived from festivals.
2. mention 3 items associated with specific ceremonies.