Last Updated on October 26, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Uses of Farm Animals (Primary 1)
TOPIC – FOOD EATEN FARM ANIMALS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Food
3. Food Eaten Farm Animals
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state what food is.
2. give examples of local food items.
3. foods eaten by animals.
Rice, beans, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Posters, Charts and samples of various local food items.
2. Samples and charts of various items eaten by animals.
3. Pictorial display of animal grazing on pasture.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s Activities – Asks pupils about the food eaten this morning and why do we eat? Listen to the pupils and also ask them to state foods eaten by animals.
EXAMPLES OF FOOD EATEN BY ANIMALS
Meaning of Foods
Foods are items eaten by people and animals in order to live and stay healthy. Animals also eat most foods eaten by people but these are common foods eaten by animals.
2. Cassava and cassava leaves
3. Yam peel, etc.
ANIMALS AND THEIR FOODS
1. Cattle, goat, sheep, etc. – Grasses
2. Pig – Cassava, palm kernel, brewers waste, kitchen wastes, dry wastes, etc.
3. Chicken – Corn, maize, millet, guinea corn, etc.
4. Fish – Worms
5. Duck – Corn shaft, maize, etc.
Teacher’s Activities – Allows the pupils to state foods eaten by the above farm animals.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of food.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention some of their local food items.
3. Mention some food items animals feed on in their homes.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention some food items animals feed on in their homes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Answer the following questions.
1. _______________ are items eaten by people and animals in order to live and stay healthy.
2. _______________ are the Foods eaten by animals.
A. Rice and beans
C. Bread and butter
3. Animals eat some of the foods eaten by people.
Mention 3 foods eaten by animals.
7. _______________ is the foods eaten by cattle, goat and sheep.
8. _______________ is the foods eaten by chicken.
9. _______________ is the foods eaten by fish.
10. _______________ is the foods eaten by people.
B. Yam peel