THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Balanced Diet
3. Importance of Eating Balanced Diet
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. mention different types of food.
2. explain the meaning of balanced diet.
3. discuss the importance of eating balanced diet.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Relevant pictures or charts.
2. Samples of foods from the locality.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to state different foods eaten in the locality.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupils and guides them to group the foods mentioned as –
TYPES OF FOOD GROUPS
1. Vegetables – Tomato, cabbage, okro, pepper, onion, carrot, etc.
2. Fruits – Orange, mango, pawpaw, apple, pineapple, banana, etc.
3. Grains, legumes, nuts and seeds – Rice, wheat, beans, maize, guinea corn, millets, breads, pasta, noodles, etc.
4. Meat and poultry – Cow, goat, chicken, eggs, etc.
6. Seafood – Fish, crab, crayfish, etc.
6. Dairy foods – Milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives.
MEANING OF BALANCED DIET
Balanced diets are the different types of food that provide adequate amounts of the nutrients necessary for good health. For example,
Carbohydrates are energy given food and found in food like rice, noodles, bread and other products that have grains.
2. Fats and oils
Fats and oils are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth. They are found in foods like meat, fish, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
Minerals are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc. Minerals can be found meat, fish, poultry, grains.
Proteins are for growth, maintain or repair tissues and found in food like rice, beans, dairy products, fish, meat, eggs.
Vitamins help to regulate and boost immune system of the body. They can be found in almost any product on the Earth.
Water support life and needed on regular basis.
IMPORTANCE OF BALANCED DIET
1. It builds the body.
2. It is growth and repair of body tissue.
3. It gives energy to the body.
4. It protects the body against diseases.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of balanced diet.
3. Guides the pupils in placing foods according to their groups.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss food groups. Give examples of balanced diets. Name foods eaten in the locality.
4. Leads the discussion on the importance of eating balanced diets.
Pupil’s Activities – State the importance of eating balanced diets.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of balanced diet.
2. explain the importance of eating balanced diet.
3. name two foods that they like to eat.