Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Needle craft and Simple Sewing Tools (Primary 4)
TOPIC – Simple Sewing Tools
1. Uses of Simple Sewing Tools
2. Care of Simple Sewing Tools
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. list different types of sewing tools and equipment.
2. explain uses of sewing tools.
3. state the care of simple sewing machine.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Simple sewing tools are materials used in sewing.
EXAMPLES OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS
1. Tape measure
5. Tailor’s chalk
6. Timble table for cutting
7. Thread of different colours fabrics
8. Brown paper.
USES OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS
1. Tape Measure
It is used body and material measurement
It is used for cutting and trimming of materials.
It is used for protecting the fingers
4. Tailors chalk
It is used for making the temporary lines on fabrics.
It is used or holding materials together temporarily or Permanently.
It is used for sewing.
It is used for holding two materials together.
CARE OF SIMPLE SEWING, KNITTING AND CROCHETING TOOLS
1. Get a kit for sewing.
2. Protect needle, pins thimbles with white powder.
3. Scissors used for cutting materials should not be used to cut paper.
4. Protect scissors from rust.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays different sewing tools.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify types of sewing tools.
3. Discusses the uses and care of each tool and an equipment.
4. Demonstrate the use of each tool or equipment.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the use of sewing tools.
5. Give a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list three types of sewing equipment.
2. explain 4 uses of sewing tools.
3. state 4 care of simple sewing tools.