Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Preparation of Simple Snacks and Fruit Drinks (Primary 4)
TOPIC – Simple Sewing Tools – Needle Craft
1. Simple Sewing Tools
2. Needle Crafts
3. Different Types of Needle Craft
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. list different types of sewing tools and equipment.
2. explain uses of sewing tools.
3. state the different types needle craft.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Sewing, knitting and crocheting tools and materials e.g. pins, wools, threads (assorted colours).
2. Knitted sweater, crocheted articles e.g. table mats, head band.
3. Books on sewing, knitting and crocheting.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Identification of Simple Sewing Tools
Teacher’s Activities – Asks pupils to identify and state the uses of simple sewing tools. Listen to them and note their points on the board.
MEANING OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS
Simple sewing tools are materials used in sewing.
EXAMPLES OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS
1. Tape measure
5. Tailor’s chalk
6. Timble table for cutting
7. Thread of different colours fabrics
8. Brown paper.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discussion on the uses of different simple sewing tools.
LESSON TWO – MEANING OF NEEDLE CRAFT
Needle craft is the used of needle and different colours of wooden threads for design and decorative clothes.
METHODS OF NEEDLE CRAFT
1. KNITTING METHOD
Knitting method is used to make cloth looping together thread by means of special needle called knitting pins.
This method requires two knitting pins.
2. CROCHET METHOD
Crochet is a kind of knitting done with one hooked needle.
TOOLS FOR KNITTING AND CROCHETING
1. Crochet pins and different colours of wool
2. Knitting pins and wool of different colours
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical demonstration of needle crafts.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays different sewing tools, types and sizes of sewing, crocheting and knitting tools and equipment.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify types of sewing tools.
3. Displays different needle craft articles and asks the pupils discuss and demonstrate how these articles are made.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss and demonstrate how needle craft articles are made.
4. Guides the pupil’s to different types of needle craft.
Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s guidance to different types of needle craft.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Explain simple sewing tools.
2. list 5 different types of sewing tools and their uses.
3. Explain needle craft.
4. Different between knitting and crochet needle crafts.