Last Updated on May 8, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Exam Questions – Second Term Examination Home Economics Primary 3 (Basic 3) Link
TOPIC – CARE OF THE MOUTH AND TOOTH
1. Introductory Activities
2.Parts of the Mouth
3. Materials used for Mouth Cleaning
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. mention the parts of the mouth.
2. list the materials used for cleaning the mouth.
The pupils can identify different parts of the mouth and materials used for caring for the mouth.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Tooth paste
3. Charcoal, salt
4. Chewing sticks
5. Cotton wool
6. Tooth polishing powder.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Display chart showing different parts of the mouth for the pupils to identify and point to each parts of their mouth.
Pupil’s Activities – This is my mouth, teeth, tongue and gum.
Teacher’s remark – Correct. The parts of the mouth are lips, teeth, tongue and gum. Write the parts of the mouth on the board and ask the pupils to state materials used for caring for the mouth.
PARTS OF THE MOUTH
MODERN MOUTH CLEANING MATERIALS
TRADITIONAL MOUTH CLEANING MATERIALS
1. Chewing sticks
4. Cotton wool or foam
5. Native polishing powder
LESSON 2 – HOW TO CARE FOR MOUTH (PRACTICAL)
Practical Demonstration on the use of modern and traditional cleaning articles.
Find out the dangers of not caring for the mouth.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Assembles articles for mouth cleaning.
Pupil’s Activities – Bring mouth and teeth cleaning materials to the class.
3. Demonstrates the correct way of cleaning the mouth and paying attention to the tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the correct way of cleaning the mouth and paying attention to the tongue.
4. Demonstrates the use of traditional cleaning articles.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the use of traditional teeth cleaning materials. Clean their teeth with chewing stick.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask the pupils to:
1. mention three ways they keep the mouth clean.
2. name two traditional materials for keeping the mouth clean.
3. practice mouth cleaning in class and rinse with water to keep the mouth clean.