Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – FOOD AND NUTRITION
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – CLASSIFICATION OF FOODS
1. Classification of Foods
2. Danger of Eating Only One Type of Food
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. list body building and energy giving food.
2. name energy giving foodstuff.
3. identify each food group from food items on display.
4. state the effect of eating only one type of foodstuff on a growing child.
Rice and beans with plantains
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart on classification of foodstuffs
2. Chart on functions of food.
3. Raw food items
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to state different foods eaten in the locality. Also, asks the pupils to mention the importance of foods.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupils and notes their points on the board.
FUNCTIONS OF FOOD
1. It builds the body.
2. It is growth and repair of body tissue.
3. It gives energy to the body.
4. It protects the body against diseases.
CLASSIFICATION OF FOODS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Makes a list of food groups as pupils mention the foodstuff –
Carbohydrates are energy given food and found in food like rice, noodles, bread and other products that have grains.
2. Fats and oils
Fats and oils are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth. They are found in foods like meat, fish, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
Minerals are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc. Minerals can be found meat, fish, poultry, grains.
Proteins are for growth, maintain or repair tissues and found in food like rice, beans, dairy products, fish, meat, eggs.
Vitamins help to regulate and boost immune system of the body. They can be found in almost any product on the Earth.
Water support life and needed on regular basis.
DANGERS OF EATING ONE TYPE OF FOOD
1. Low growth and development
2. Tooth decay
3. Weight loss
5. Weakness of the bones
6. Reduced immunity
7. Life threatening complications
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Explain the functions of foods in the body.
3. Explains the different food groups to children.
4. Makes a list of food groups as pupils mention the foodstuff.
Pupil’s Activities – Make a list of foods in the different food groups.
5. Discusses the dangers of eating one type of food.
Pupil’s Activities – State types of food they consumed to see if they are monotonous.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. copy the classified food groups.
2. mention any 3 foods that supply energy.
3. give 3 reasons why they eat food.
4. state any 3 functions of food.