Last Updated on August 17, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – READING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Identification of Familiar Sounds in Words – House/Mouse (Primary 1)
TOPIC – USE OF SOUNDS OF LETTERS TO FORM THREE LETTER WORDS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. use sounds of letters to form three – letter words, e.g. mat, cat, bad, bag, man, dog, rag and
2. break large words into smaller words.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Flash cards of given three letter words.
2. Chart of common three letter words.
3. Class text.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Combining sounds to form two and three letter words – as in
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Reads given words emphasising the sounds in the words.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Practise by imitating teacher’s action.
- Read given two and three letter words.
3. Guide pupils to read given three letter words using sound s.
Pupil’s Activities – Clap to the number of syllables in a word.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to read given three letter word and correctly use sounds.