Last Updated on November 6, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – GROOMING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Functions of the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue (Primary 1)
TOPIC – THE MOUTH, TEETH AND TONGUE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Materials for Cleaning the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue
3. Reasons for Daily Care of the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the reasons for daily care of the mouth, teeth and tongue.
2. identify the materials used in cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue correctly.
The mouth, the teeth and the tongue
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A chart showing teeth and tongue and cleaning materials.
2. Some materials for cleaning the teeth and tongue e.g. chewing stick, brush, toothpaste , personal cups.
3. Pictures of a child with clean teeth and another child with dirty teeth.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays sample of toothbrush and toothpaste for pupils to identify and state their uses.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupils and note their points on the board. Group and discuss types of materials used for cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue.
MATERIALS USED FOR CLEANING the MOUTH, TEETH AND TONGUE
There are two types of materials used for cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue-
1. Traditional Materials
- Chewing stick (roots or branches), etc.
2. Modern Materials
REASONS FOR CLEANING THE MOUTH, TEETH AND TONGUE
1. To prevent mouth odour.
2. To prevent teeth decay.
3. To prevent mouth disease.
4. To make our teeth strong.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration of how to properly clean the mouth, teeth and tongue.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Tell pupils (before the lesson) to bring materials for cleaning the teeth and tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Show the teeth and tongue cleaning materials brought to class.
3. Display some other 1materials for the care of the mouth, teeth and tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify three materials cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue.
4. Illustrate the use of materials for cleaning teeth and tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Show as demonstrated the correct ways of cleaning the teeth and tongue.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to answer all the questions.
WORKBOOK – WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
Circle or underline if it is a traditional or modern materials used for cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue –
1. Chewing stick – Tradition or Modern
2. Toothbrush – Tradition or Modern
3. Salt – Tradition or Modern
4. Toothbrush – Tradition or Modern
5. Grinded charcoal – Tradition or Modern
The following are the reasons for cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue –
6. To make the mouth smell.
7. To prevent tooth decay.
8. To prevent mouth odour.
9. Mention one material cleaning the mouth, teeth and tongue.
10. Demonstrate the correct method in cleaning the teeth and tongue.