Last Updated on March 20, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Exam Questions – Second Term Examination Physical and Health Education Basic 7 (JSS 1) – Exam Questions
TOPIC – RECREATION, LEISURE AND DANCE ACTIVITIES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning/Definition of Recreation, Leisure and Dance Activities
3. Benefits of Recreation, Leisure and Dance Activities
4. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define recreation, leisure and dance activities.
2. list the benefits derived from recreational activities.
The students can state different activities they do during the break time.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. write the benefits of recreational activities.
2. ask questions.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Recreation and leisure are activities often used interchangeably.
These activities are the activities that people choose to do with their free time not used for work, school, or other activities.
MEANING OF RECREATION
Recreation can be defined as the activity that people do for enjoyment during leisure time mostly to refresh their bodies and minds.
Recreation activities are always enjoyable activities that are active and enhanced physical fitness and well being, refresh their bodies and minds.
2. Playing games
6. Playing musical instruments
7. Listen to music
8. Going to cinema, etc.
MEANING/DEFINITION OF LEISURE
Leisure can be defined as the activity that people do at any free time mostly to achieve their personal interests or to complete a task.
MEANING/DEFINITION OF DANCE
Dance can be defined as one of the recreation activities that involves the movement of the body.
LESSON 2 – BENEFITS OF RECREATION AND DANCE ACTIVITIES
Recreation activities are always enjoyable activities that enable people to –
1. refresh our body and mind.
2. improve the quality of life.
3. increase personal confidence.
4. increase self-awareness.
5. enhance self-esteem.
6. enhance social interaction.
7. reduce depression and anxiety.
8. improve concentration.
9. promote social and emotional stability.
10. reduce the risk of all forms of diseases.
11. improve quality of sleep.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
What are the importance of food?
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Leads a discussion to differentiate between recreation, leisure and dance activities.
Student’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion.
3. Outlines the benefits of recreational activities.
Student’s Activities – Write the benefits of recreational activities.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. define the following –
2. list three benefits of recreational activities.