Last Updated on March 20, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: ATHLETICS (TRACK AND FIELD)
PREVIOUS LESSON – Importance of Food JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – SHOT PUT
1. Introductory Activities
2. Safety Measures in Shot Put
3. The Benefits of Taking Part in Athletics
4. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the safety measures of shot put.
2. mention the benefits of taking part in athletics.
The students can define shot put game.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
3. Measuring instruments
6. Video clips
8. Shot put
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Shot put can be defined as a sport competition in which a heavy round ball is thrown from a distance.
The ball is heavy and made of up metal ball.
Shot put game is played by throwing a ball from the shoulder as far as possible.
SHOT PUT SAFETY MEASURES
1. Follow the coach instructions.
2. The ball must be thrown within the sector.
3. Stay behind the cage and wait for your turn.
4. Stay away from the sector when training or event is in progress.
5. During the event, do not walk in the middle of the field to avoid getting hit or disqualified.
6. Only the competitors are allowed at the centre of the field.
LESSON 2 – BENEFITS OF TAKING PART IN ATHLETICS
1. Aids weight loss.
2. Increases bone density.
3. Boosts confidence.
4. Improves mental health.
5. Builds endurance.
6. To continue visit – The Benefits of Taking Part in Athletics
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Practice for shot put contest.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Guide students to discuss the safety measures of shot put.
3. Guide students to discuss benefits of taking part in athletics.
Student’s Activities – Participate actively in the discuss.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. state 5 safety measures in shot put.
4. mention 5 benefits of taking part in athletics.