Last Updated on June 10, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (SSS 1)
THEME: BASIC CONCEPTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Agricultural Science Plan Lesson Notes for Senior Secondary Schools – SSS 1
TOPIC – AGRICULTURE
1. Meaning/Definition of Agriculture
2. Branches of Agriculture
3. Importance of Agriculture
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. define agriculture.
2. state the importance of agriculture to an individual, a community and a nation.
The students can define agriculture.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing branches of agriculture.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION TO AGRICULTURE
Agriculture is one of the oldest and most important occupations of mankind. The practice of agriculture involves production of crops and animals. After the production, the crops and animals are further processing for commercial purposes.
Agriculture can be define as the science deals with growing of crops, rearing of animals, processing and selling of agricultural products for the benefit of man (for man’s use).
BRANCHES OF AGRICULTURE
There are 5 branches of agriculture –
Agronomy is about the soil, and how the crops will grow in different kinds of soil.
2. Agriculture Engineering
Agriculture Engineering is learning about how the different machines work.
Horticulture is all about the fruits and vegetables and how to grow them.
4. Agricultural Economics
Agricultural Economics is about the money and business that the farm will bring.
5. Animal Science
Animal Science is how to take care of animals, as well as how to breed them for the purpose of meat, milk, food, skins, fur, etc.
IMPORTANCE OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
1. Provision of food.
2. Source of raw materials.
3. Source of income.
4. Source of foreign exchange.
5. Provision of employment opportunities.
6. Creation of business opportunities.
7. Reduction of poverty.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Guides students to define agriculture and state its branches.
3. Guides students to discuss the importance of agriculture.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the discussion on meaning and roles of agriculture.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. define agriculture.
2. state and explain 5 branches of agriculture.
3. state five (5) importance of agriculture to the Nigerian economy.