Athletics – Meaning/Definition of Shot Put | The Rules Governing Shot Put Game | Draw and Label with Dimensions JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: ATHLETICS (TRACK AND FIELD)
PREVIOUS LESSON – Importance of Food JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – SHOT PUT
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Athletics and Shot Put
3. The Rules Governing Shot Put Game
4. Draw and Label Shot Sector with Dimensions
5. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. describe athletics and shot put.
2. state the rules governing shot put game.
3. draw and label the sectors with dimensions.
The students can identify and state some of the ball games.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
3. Measuring instruments
6. Video clips
8. Shot put
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Athletics are track and field events that include various competitions such as races, jumping and throwing. Shot Put is one of the track and field events that involved throwing of ball from a distance.
MEANING OF SHOT PUT
Shot put can be defined as a sport competition in which a heavy round ball is thrown from a distance.
The ball is heavy and made of up metal.
Shot put game is played by throwing the ball from the shoulder as far as possible.
SHOT PUT SECTOR DRAW
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Display chart or picture showing shot put sector for the students to draw and label. Then, discuss.
LESSON 2 – RULES GOVERNING THE GAME OF DISCUS AND SHOT PUT
1. The athlete has 60 seconds to commence when his/her name is announce.
2. The athlete cannot wear gloves but he/she can tap his/her finger for safety.
3. The resting position of the shot is near the neck. That’s, the shoulder.
4. The athlete can only use one hand when releasing the ball.
5. The athlete stays within the sector but an extension of the limb is allowed outside sector.
7. The approved sector is 34.92 degree of the throwing area and the ball is shot within this range.
8. The athlete must leave the circle from back.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Find out the safety measures in shot put.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Uses chart or picture to the describes the sectors of shot put.
Student’s Activities – Identify shot put game and participate actively in the discussion.
3. Asks students to draw and label shot put sectors.
Student’s Activities – Draw and label shot put sectors.
4. Explains the rules governing shot put game.
Student’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanations.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. describe athletics and shot put.
2. state 5 rules governing shot put game.
3. draw the sectors with dimensions.
Safety Measures in Shot Put | The Benefits of Taking Part in Athletics JSS 1 (Basic 7)
Importance of Food JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education