COMPUTER STUDIES (BST)
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Misuse of Computer | Areas of Computer Misuse | Reasons Why People Abuse the Computer | How to Prevent or Stop Abuse of Computer Primary 6 (Basic 6) Term 3 Week 4 Information Technology
TOPIC: CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN COMPUTING
2. Meaning of Career Opportunities
3. Career Opportunities in Computer
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. explain the meaning of career opportunity.
2. list career opportunities associated with computer usage.
3. mention their future career.
The pupils can identify some of the career in computer such teaching and operator.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of functional computer system.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary Schools Book 6
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note Computer Studies (Information Technology) Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Career is the period of time spent in a job, occupation or profession.
It is a whole life’s work.
Career opportunities are the different job opportunities available to people to do.
CAREERS OPPORTUNITIES IN COMPUTER
Career opportunities in computer are various job opportunities available to people in the computer world.
There are various career opportunities in the computer or IT profession as it is commonly referred to now as every area of human activity use it.
Also, most engineering based products have one computer – based device or another working inside it.
The available job opportunities in computer or IT profession are as follows:
2. Computer programming
3. Computer engineering
4. Computer analyst
5. Hardware Maintenance and Support
Teaching is a career opportunity in computer that teaches computer as subject at primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
2. COMPUTER PROGRAMMING
Computer programming is the career opportunity that write computer programs.
3. COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Computer engineering is the career opportunity in computer that assemble and repair computers.
Computer engineering also develop computer hardware and software.
4. COMPUTER ANALYSTS
Computer analyst is the career opportunity in computer that analyze, design and implement information systems.
They also determine programs inside computers.
5. HARDWARE MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT
Hardware maintenance and support are career opportunities in computer that service the computers.
LESSON 2 – CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN COMPUTER
6. Business Analyst
7. Database Management Support
8. Telecommunications Engineers
9. Computer Operations
10. Computer Auditing
11. Computer Security
6. BUSINESS ANALYST
Business analyst is the career opportunity in computer that offer computer solutions to business problems.
7. DATABASE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
Database management support is the career opportunity in computer that organize, store, and retrieve data from a computer.
8. TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERS
Telecommunication engineers are the career opportunities in computer that install, maintain and repair both private and public mobile phone systems and
9. COMPUTER OPERATIONS
Computer operations are the career opportunities computer that input, process and store data.
Computer operators include computer operator, data entry clerk, librarian, etc. that work daily with the computer.
10. COMPUTER AUDITING
Computer auditing is the career opportunity in computer that check the use of the computer is correct.
11. COMPUTER SECURITY
To ensure protection of computer and data.
To write technical and user manuals in different languages.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to make a list of 10 career opportunities available in their communities.
Pupil’s Activities – Make list of available career available in their communities.
4. Teacher asks pupils to write their name in front of their favourite career.
5. Teacher asks pupils to describe the choose career.
Pupil’s Activities – Give reasons for the choose career.
6. Teacher uses the pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson and leads a discussion on the meaning of career opportunities.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of the lesson.
7. Teacher make a list of career opportunities available in computer and discuss with the groups or pairs with appropriate examples.
8. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board with appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. explain the meaning of career opportunities.
2. give 5 career opportunities available in computer.
3. discuss 5 career opportunities in computer that are available in your communities.