THEME: CONTROL OF CROP WEEDS, PESTS AND DISEASES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Common Pests and Diseases of Crop plants – Pests (Primary 5)
TOPIC – COMMON PESTS AND DISEASES OF CROP PLANTS
1. Meaning of Crop Diseases
2. Casual Agents and Common Crop Diseases
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain crop pests.
2. identify common diseases on our farm.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Fresh or preserved specimens of diseases.
Specimen of maize, bean, guinea corn seeds infested by weevil, beetle or termite.
Chart showing local farm pests.
Charts and posters of squirrels, rats, grass, cutter, birds, crabs, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Agriculture Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF DISEASES
A disease is any abnormal condition that damages a plant, reduce the yield or usefulness to man.
CAUSAL AGENTS OF CROP DISEASES
SOME COMMON CROP DISEASES
1. Maize smut
2. Cassava mosaics
3. Tomato rot
5. Root rots
6. Groundnut rosette
Teacher’s Activities – Take pupils on an excursion to nearest farm to find out some common crop diseases.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK 3 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays and identifies chart showing crop diseases.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify chart showing crop diseases.
3. Defines diseases of crop plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain diseases of crop plants.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. State the meaning of farm diseases.
2. Name five diseases in the locality.