Last Updated on November 6, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – GROOMING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Reasons for Cleaning Our Mouth, Teeth and Tongue – Materials Used for Cleaning the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue (Primary 1)
TOPIC – THE MOUTH, TEETH AND TONGUE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Ways of Caring for the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue
3. Causes of Tooth Decay
4. Prevention of Tooth Decay
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. demonstrate ways of caring for the mouth, teeth and tongue.
2. mention the causes of tooth decay.
3. state how to prevent tooth decay.
The mouth, the teeth and the tongue
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A chart showing teeth and tongue and cleaning materials.
2. Some materials for cleaning the teeth and tongue e.g. chewing stick, brush, toothpaste , personal cups.
3. Pictures of a child with clean teeth and another child with dirty teeth.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays a chart showing clean and decay tooth for the pupils to tell the different, identify the causes of tooth decay and how to prevent them.
Teacher’s remark – Listen to the pupils and discuss how to care for the mouth, teeth and tongue with them.
WAYS FOR CARING FOR THE MOUTH, TEETH AND TONGUE
1. Brush twice daily – morning and night.
2. Brush gently.
3. Brush your tongue gently.
4. Avoid too much of cold water.
5. Raise your mouth with clean water after brush.
6. Avoid too much of sugar and starch.
CAUSES OF TOOTH DECAY
1. Irregular cleaning.
2. Sugar and starch.
PREVENTION OF TOOTH DECAY
As in stated in Ways of Caring for the Mouth, Teeth and Tongue.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration of how to properly clean the mouth, teeth and tongue.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Lead the discussion on how to care for the mouth, teeth and tongue.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion and state ways of caring for the mouth, teeth and tongue.
3. State and discuss the causes of tooth decay and how to prevent them.
Pupil’s Activities – State causes of tooth decay and how to prevent them.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Revision and First Term Examination
state 3 ways of caring for the mouth, teeth and tongue.
mention 2 causes of tooth decay.