Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CIVIL SOCIETY AND POPULAR PARTICIPATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL TALK ON GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor): and should be able to –
1. explain the concept of civil society;
2. classify civil society groups.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. course book/materials,
2.nposters, newspapers cutting, video clips.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS
Civil Society Groups are social organizations which are formed to promote the interests and values of the common citizens.
CLASSIFICATION OF CIVIL SOCIETY GROUPS
Civil society groups can be classified as:
1. Interest Group
Trade unions, professional and business groups, such as NUT, ICAN, NBA, etc.
2. Organizational Based
Kinship, ethnicity culture and religion.
3. Service provision groups
4. Deviant Civic Association
Secret societies like Boko Haram, Niger Delta Militant, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to explain the concept of civil society groups;
Pupils’ activities – Participate in the explanation of the definition of civil society groups.
2. Guides the pupils in the classification of civil society groups and provide adequate examples;
Pupils’ activities – Participate in the classification and take down notes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. define the concept of civil society groups;
2. identify two ways civil society groups can be classified.