SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (SS 3)
THEME – APPLIED ECONOMICS AND CONTEMPORARY ECONOMIC ORGANISATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – CURRENT ECONOMICS PLANS
3. VISION 2020
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. List and Explain current economic planning instruments like Millennium Development Goals, (MDG’s), National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategies (NEEDS), Vision 2020.
2. List and explain the MDG’s.
3. List the objectives of NEEDS and Vision 2020 and other contemporary economic plans.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Business News paper, articles, magazines etc, and the internet.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CURRENT ECONOMICS PLANS
Current Economic Plans refer to the plan of things the government wants ot do for the benefit of members of the public such as free education, good health, agriculture and employment..
These also known as Government has many programmes and policies, among are –
MILLENNIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS (MDGS)
Millennium Development Goals are United National (UN) initiatives agreed by all members state to combat poverty, hunger, disease, illiteracy, environmental degradation, and discrimination against women.
There are eight (8) Millennium Development Goals as agreed and signed by 191 members states in 2015 and stated below.
OBJECTIVES OF MGDS
The Eight Millennium Development Goals are:
1. to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger;
2. to achieve universal primary education;
3. to promote gender equality and empower women;
4. to reduce child mortality;
5. to improve maternal health;
6. to combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases;
7. to ensure environmental sustainability; and
8. to develop a global partnership for development.
NATIONAL ECONOMICS EMPOWERMENT DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY (NEEDS)
National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS) focuses on Nigeria’s commitment to sustainable growth, and poverty reduction in 2004.
OBJECTIVES OF NEEDS
NEEDS is based on three pillars –
1. Empowering people and improving social service delivery.
2. Fostering economic growth, in particular in the non-oil private Sector
3. Enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of government, while improving governance.
Vision 2020 was conceived by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, in 2006, and launched in September 2009 by late President Umaru Yar’Adua’s administration.
The main organs responsible for the development of the vision were:
1. The National Council on Vision 2020 with the President as the Chairman.
2. The National Steering Committee includes State Governments, Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and other key institutions.
3. The National Technical Working Group includes public and private sectors with expertise and passion for the area.
4. The Stakeholder Development Committee includes State Governments, Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and other key institutions.
OBJECTIVES OF NIGERIAN VISION 2020
The entire government of Nigeria embarked upon the ambition to “position Nigeria one of the 20 largest economies in the world and able to consolidate its leadership role in Africa and establish itself as a significant player in the global economic and political arena.”
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guide the students to list and be able to explain the MDGS, objectives of the NEEDS and Vision 2020.
Student’s Activities – Search for current information on progress being made in the attainment of the MDGS, NEEDS, and Vision 2020.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Explain the objectives of:
3. Vision 2020.