CRN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
FIRST TERM EXAMINATION
BASIC 7/JSS 1
LITERATURE IN ENGLISH
SECTION A – Answer all Questions
Instruction: Choose the correct option from the alternatives A-D
1. All these are characteristics of drama except _____________________.
(a) it involves dialogue
(b) it involves actions
(c) it is usually divided into acts and scenes
(d) it is usually divided into paragraphs
2. _____________________ is a poem that is used to mourn the death of a person?
3. In fables, the characters are usually _____________________ or _____________________.
(a) animate or inanimate objects
(b) letters or dictionaries
© males or females
(d) prose or poetry
4. Which of these is an account of a person’s life written by him/herself.
5. A play that ends sadly is known as _____________________.
(c) computer play
(d) tragedy play
6. The figure of speech used in “you must be very clever for scoring 20% in your examination”, is _____________________.
7. A poem of five lines is known as _____________________.
8. All these are forms of prose except _____________________.
(d) epistolary novel
9. The writer of a poem is called _____________________.
10. The presentation of an unpleasant thing or experience in a pleasant way is known as _____________________.
11. “The boy wt the bed and his belt”. The repeated ‘e’ sound in this expression is an example of _____________________.
12. _____________________ Is an introductory speech before a play.
13. A play is a drama, because it can be _____________________.
(a) sung on an assembly
(b) acted on a stage
© watched on your phones
(d) acted only in our homes
14. The use of facial expressions and gestures to tell a story is _____________________.
(a) tales by moonlight
(c) super stories
15. Another name for ‘Hero’ is _____________________.
16. These except one is not true about literature.
(a) Literature teaches moral values.
(b) Literature is entertaining and educative.
(c) Literature deals only on past events.
(d) Literature can sell ideas or products.
17. A novel written in form of a letter is referred to as _____________________.
(a) informal letters
(b) epistolary novel
(d) formal letters
18. A song composed to be sung to children with a view to making them sleep is known as _____________________.
(c) descriptive poem
(d) pastoral poem
19. _____________________ is a figure of speech that refers to the repetition of identical vowel sounds to give a particular effect.
20. Which of these terms refer to the word choice used by writers in any literary work?
Section B: Theory
Answer any four questions
1. Briefly explain the following literary terms;
2a. What is poetry?
2b. List four characteristics of poetry.
3a. What is prose?
3b. List and explain four forms of prose.
4a. What is literature?
4b. Briefly explain the following types of literature;
(i) oral literature
(ii) historical literature
5a. Who is a character?
5b. Give a detailed explanation of the following types of character;
(i) eponymous character
(ii) flat character
(iii) round character
5c. What do we mean by the term ‘Characterization’ in drama?
Leave a comment.
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]