PREVIOUS LESSON – As stated in Second Term (Term 2) Week 1 Plan Lesson Notes for Primary Schools
TOPIC: BOILING METHOD
2. Meaning of Cooking
3. Methods of Cooking – Boiling Method
4. Advantages and Disadvantages of Cooking Method
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. discuss the different boiling methods.
2. state advantages and disadvantages of boiling method.
Some of the pupils know how to cook.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing the different cooking methods.
2. Food ingredients for meal preparation.
3. Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
4. Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Cooking is the art preparing food by heating.
There are different methods of cooking.
COMMON COOKING METHODS
Boiling method is the process of cooking food in boiling water.
Examples of foods that can be boiled are rice, beans, yam, egg, meat, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF BOILING METHOD
1. It is easy and quick method.
2. It makes food soft.
3. It makes food easy for digesting.
4. Many foods can be cooked by boiling.
DISADVANTAGES OF BOILING METHOD
Some foods nutrients can be lost in boiling water, e.g. vitamin.
LESSON 2 – PRACTICE AND DEMONSTRATE HOW TO BOIL EGGS
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays sample of boiled egg and fried egg.
3. Asks pupils to differentiate between boiled egg and fried egg.
Pupil’s Activities – Differentiate between boiled egg and fried egg.
4. Uses the sample and pupil’s responses to introduce and explains the meaning or boiling method.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction.
5. Asks pupils foods that can be boiled.
Pupil’s Activities – State foods that can be boiled.
6. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of boiling method.
Pupil’s Activities – List the advantages and disadvantages of boiling method.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively the lesson summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Asks pupils to:
1. list five common methods of cooking.
2. cook using boiling method of cooking.
3. state 2 advantages of boiling method.
4. state 2 disadvantages of boiling method.