THEME: CONTROL OF CROP WEEDS, PESTS AND DISEASES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Useful and Quick Links for Second Term Plan Lesson Notes All Subjects Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6
TOPIC – COMMON PESTS AND DISEASES OF CROP PLANTS
1. Meaning of Crop Pests
2. Common Pests
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain farm pests.
2. identify common pests on school farm, if available.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Fresh or preserved specimens of pests.
Specimen of maize, bean, guinea corn seeds infested by weevil, beetle or termite.
Chart showing local farm pests.
Charts and posters of squirrels, rats, grass, cutter, birds, crabs, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Agriculture Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF PEST
Pests are insect or other animal that attack and destroy crop plants.
IDENTIFICATION OF COMMON PESTS
8. Quela birds
Teacher’s Activities – Take pupils on an excursion to nearest farm to find out some common crop pests.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK 2 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays and identifies chart showing pests and diseases.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify chart showing pests and diseases.
3. Defines pests of crop plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Define pests of crop plants.
4. Guides pupils to collect common pests of crop plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in collection of common pests.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. State the meaning of farm pests.
2. Name five pests in the locality.