TOPIC: Effects of Drug Abuse
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor):
- list names of some common hard drugs;
- identify the health effects of drugs abuse;
- discuss the socio-economic effects of drug/substance abuse;
- educate others on drug abuse.
The pupils are required to already have learned…
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictures/drawing of mad people, posters on identification of drug abuse, cardboard papers, scissors, gum, crayons, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING:
REFERENCE MATERIALS: Search Engine/Internet
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
A drug is a substance that can affect the activities of the body. Drugs can be natural or chemical in nature. The normal use of drugs makes you well, if taken according to the doctor’s instructions.
Some drugs when taken without the doctor’s prescription are dangerous to the body. Examples are aspirin, valium and antibiotics.
Also, some substances when taken change the action of the body. Examples of such substances are heroine, cocaine, indian hemp.
Drug abuse is the taking of drugs without the doctor’s advise or prescription.
COMMONLY DRUG ABUSE
- Indian hemp
EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE ON HEALTH
- Respiratory tract infection
- Blood pressure
- Weight loss
SOCIO-ECONOMIC EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE
- Bad behaviour
- Poor performance in school
- Financial problems
- HIV infection
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides class discussions on the economic effects of drugs/substances abuse;
- Tells children stories about people who abuse drugs;
- Arrange for a guest talk on drug/substance abuse;
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen and learn from the stories and guest talk; Tell some stories about victims of drug abuse.
- Produces drama sketches on drug;
- Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize the effects of drug abuse;
- Pupil’s Activities – Make posters for campaigning against drug abuse; Educate others against drug abuse.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- mention the names of some hard drugs;
- enumerate three health with drug abuse;
- explain the social and economic effects of drug/substance abuse;
- display posters and use them to educate against drug abuse.