COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS AND CONCEPTS
TOPIC – FUNDAMENTAL COMPUTER OPERATIONS
1. Meaning of Booting and Shutting Down A Computer
2. Types of Booting
3. Steps for Booting and Shutting Down Computer Systems
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. startup a micro system.
2. shut down computer correctly.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Computer system
2. Interactive CD-ROM on Micro-computer operations
3. Video tutorial
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
BOOTING COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Booting means starting of computer and loading the operating system.
THE STEPS FOR BOOTING
1. Connect the system unit to the power source.
2. Turn on the power button ON the monitor.
3. Ensure the monitor is ON.
4. Turn ON the power of the system unit.
5. Allow the computer to boot.
TYPES OF BOOTING
There are two types of booting – cold and warm booting.
1. Cold booting – This is starting a computer after switching it off for a while. That is, when the computer parts are cold, then press the power button to start again.
2. Warm booting – This is restarting a computer without switching it off.
SHUTTING DOWN COMPUTER SYSTEMS
Shutting down a computer, first closes all of the programs that are open and secondly, exits the operating system safely.
STEPS FOR SHUTTING DOWN COMPUTER
- In the Start Menu, click Power, then click Shut down
DEMONSTRATING BOOTING OF COMPUTER AND PROCEDURE OF SHUTTING DOWN A COMPUTER
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Demonstrates startup procedures by pressing appropriate buttons and cold booting a micro computer.
Student’s Activities – Watch teacher demonstration and note the sequence of operations and events leading to startup point of:
3. Demonstrates warm booting.
Student’s Activities – Practice each type of booting.
4. Supervises groups of students.
5. Demonstrates system shutdown procedures.
Student’s Activities – Practice shut down procedure.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson –
1. start up a micro-computer by:
2. shutdown the system.