THEME – READING AND WRITING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Oral Composition – Narrative (Description) – A Visit to my Village and An Interesting Experience (Primary 4)
TOPIC – GUIDED COMPOSITION – GIVING ACCOUNT OF A POEM
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. write rhythms or poems and links them to express their ideas.
2. write two paragraphs and link them.
3. use model composition provided by the teacher or in their class book to select the options that will help them write their own composition.
4. recognize lines and the words of the National Anthem.
Reading and Writing
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Suitable the poem
2. Recount the poem in prose.
3. Answer questions on the poem.
4. write their composition.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. Jack and Jill
2. Little Jack Horner
3. Little Miss Muffet
4. The National Anthem
1. Giving an account of the poem in prose.
2. Dividing the prose into paragraphs, usually about two paragraphs, and linking them.
3. Explaining the words/ideas of National Anthem stressing National Consciousness
PROSE RENDERING INTO SUBSTITUTION
Once upon a time/Many years ago, a boy and a girl/a boy and his sister went up to fetch/draw a pail/a bucket of water from the well/the public tap.
When they were returning/coming back, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Gives an account of the poem in prose.
3. Links the sentences.
4. Links the two paragraphs.
5. Prepare the prose rendering into substitutional tables.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Recount the poem in poem.
- Answer questions in prose.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. write rhythm or poem and link them to express their ideas.
2. write two paragraphs and links them correctly.