COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY) BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
WEEK 7 PRIMARY 2
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Draw and Label A System Unit (Primary 2)
TOPIC: HOW TO START THE COMPUTER LEARNING AREA
1. Identification Parts of Computer System
2. Connecting Different Parts of Computer System
3. Start the Computer
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Describe computers.
2. Identify different parts of computer system.
3. connecting different parts of computer together.
4. start the computer.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Functional computers system
2. Different types of computer cables
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Computer systems is a collection of different parts of hardware, software and liveware that are designed to receive, process, manage and present information in a meaningful format.
These parts include the monitor, system unit (CPU), keyboard, printer, scanner, speakers, and modem.
IDENTIFICATION OF PART OF COMPUTER – THE MONITOR, THE SYSTEM UNIT, THE KEYBOARD, THE MOUSE AND THE SPEAKERS
CONNECTING DIFFERENT PARTS OF COMPUTER SYSTEMS
In connecting different parts of computer systems, the following steps must be taken –
Step 1 – Connect the monitor to the system unit.
Step 2 – Connect the keyboard to the system unit.
Step 3 – Connect the mouse and keyboard to the system unit.
Step 4 – Connect the printer to the system unit and connect the printer to the source of electricity.
Step 5 – Connect the system unit to the source of electricity (the socket).
IDENTIFICATION OF POWER BUTTON ON THE MONITOR AND THE SYSTEM
STARTING THE COMPUTER
Step 6 – Start the monitor – press down the power button on the monitor.
Step 7 – Start the system unit – press down the power button on the system unit and allow to boot.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Lets the pupils identify different parts of computer;
Pupil’s Activities – Identify various parts of the computer system.
3. Allows the pupils to connect the parts of computer system together;
Pupil’s Activities – Connect different parts of computer systems together.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – uses of computer cables.
1. Identify different parts of computer systems.
2. Connect different parts of computer systems together.
3. Start the computer.