ENGLISH STUDIES – SPEECH WORK
TOPIC: Intonation Practice – Passage Illustrating Intonation in Command Using Initial Model Verbs
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- Use correctly the intonation pattern appropriate for item listing; either – rise, rise, fall or fall, fall, fall.
- Use the correct intonation required for the structure in content column.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Course book
- Any relevant materials
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
SENTENCES INVOLVING ITEMS LISTING
- I have taken six tables four chairs and a cupboard to the new class.
- ‘Will you stand up’ ‘Will you sit down’
- She has pens, books, rulers and colour pens.
- The colours of the Nigerian flag are green, white and green.
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English
Page 73 D
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Provides sentences involving item listing.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher and the the CD player
- Reads and guide pupils to do the same.
- Pupil’s Activities – Read sentences provided.
- Uses CD/cassette tapes where available and record pupil’s attempts.
- Pupil’s Activities – Record their own attempts on the CD player.
- Guides pupils to read correctly after giving modal reading.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen attentively to the teacher or CD player, read with correct intonation with teacher’s guide.
- Allows pupils to have plenty of oral practice.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice further, using the correct intonation.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Use the appropriate information in item listing and in commands.
- Use the correct information required for the structure in content column.