BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – COMPONENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Atom | First Ten Chemical Elements | Periodic Table with Symbols and Numbers Primary 6 (Basic 6) Term 2 Week 8 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – INTRODUCTION TO WOODWORK
1. Introduction to Woodwork
2. Classification of Woodwork Hand Tools l According to their Uses
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain what hand tools are.
2. give examples of cutting tools in woodwork.
3. state the examples of marking tools in woodwork.
4. identify measuring tools.
The pupils can give examples of tools by the carpenter.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of T-Square; Tape Rule; Scriber; Saws; Centre Punch; Planes; Divider.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Woodworks are the items or products made from wooden materials.
For example, chairs and desk, doors and windows, etc.
HAND TOOLS FOR MAKING WOODWORK
Hand tools are parts of our day to day activities.
Hand Tools for woodwork are tools used by hand for making woodworks.
These tools are portable and are operated manually.
1. Tape rules
2. Metre rules
5. Smoothing plane
6. G – clamp
10. Hammer, etc.
For this lesson, we are looking six hand tools which are classified as measuring tools, marking tools and cutting tools.
LESSON 2 – CLASSIFICATION OF WOODWORK HAND TOOLS
Woodwork hand tools can be classify into
1. Measuring tools
2. Marking tools
3. Cutting tools
4. Boring tools
5. Driving in tools
1. MEASURING TOOLS
Measuring tools are tools used for taken measurements.
Both tape rules and metre rules are good examples of measuring tools.
2. MARKING TOOLS
Marking tools are used for marking on the parts of the wood to be cut.
Divider, knife and punch are good examples of marking tools.
3. CUTTING TOOLS
Cutting tools are tools for cutting wooden materials needed for construction.
Saw, jack plane, file and plane saw are good examples of cutting tools.
There are different types of saws.
Examples are rip saw, panel saw, fret saw, bow saw, cross saw, tenon saw, dovetail saw coping saw.
The planes are used for finishing in woodwork.
Examples are Jack plane, smoothing plane, trying plane, spokeshare.
4. BORING TOOLS
Boring tools are tools for making holes on the piece of wood.
Bradawl and ratchet brace are good examples of hand tools.
5. DRIVING IN TOOLS
Driving in tools are tools used for driving in nails and screws on woods.
Screwdriver and hammer are going examples of driving in tools.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays samples of hand tools used for making woodwork.
4. Teacher lete pupils as a group or pair identify and group the tools as cutting, measuring, marking, boring and driving in tools.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and classify the tools according to their uses.
5. Teacher uses the samples and pupil’s appropriate responses to introduce the lesson and lead a discussion on the meaning of woodwork, hand tools for woodwork and the classification of woodwork hand tools.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and participate actively in the class discussion.
6. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with appropriate lessons evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the lesson evaluation and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. explain the meaning of woodwork and hand tools used for making woodwork.
2. give 3 examples of the following hand tools used for making woodwork,
Back to homepage – Second Term Basic Science and Technology Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Notes for Primary 6 (Basic 6)
Main page – Basic Science and Technology (Primary 6)