WRITING FIRST TERM/WEEK 8
SECOND TERM/WEEK 1
THEME – WRITING
TOPIC – ABBREVIATED FORMS OF LETTER
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to reduce detailed information to telegram form.
The pupils are required to already responding to formal invitations.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of sample of text message, email, fax or telegram and course book.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
Shortcut to other relevant materials – Useful and Quick Links for Second Term Plan Lesson Notes All Subjects Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Abbreviated of letters, reduction of letters or information to telegram forms.
A telegram is a letter in abbreviation, its content is transmitted over telegraph wires, whereas letters are conveyed by land, sea or air.
Telegram normally moves faster than the letters but it costs more to send letters by telegram than by letters.
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
Book 5, page 49 and 50.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Provides pupils with prose passages or some oral details information.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher as he explains the topic.
3. Discusses with pupils on how to draft a telegram using passage provided, e.g. name and address of the person to whom the telegram is being sent, the message in brief.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss with teacher, see the sample provided and write message – email, fax or text message.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to write messages to be sent by telegram to assess their ability.