RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – DEMOCRACY, PARLIAMENTARY AND PRESIDENTIAL GOVERNMENT
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- explain the concept of local government.
- list the duties of local government.
- mention problems of local government.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Chart showing local government officials
- Resource person
- Picture/photographs of poorly maintained local schools, health centres, road, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – MEANING OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Local Government is a body of people who control the public affairs at the grassroot.
THE IMPORTANCE AND DUTIES OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The duties of local government are –
- Provision of social amenities like schools, markets, clinics, water, etc.
- Maintaining law and order in the community.
- Maintaining law and order in the local government.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Uses guided questions to explain the meaning of local government.
- Pupil’s Activities – Respond to the questions.
- Leads pupils to visit the local government office to see things for themselves.
- Pupil’s Activities – Ask questions at the local government office.
- Invites an official from local government to give a talk on their duties.
- Pupil’s Activities – Write out duties of the government in their notes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – State Government
- Explain the meaning of local government.
- List 3 duties of local government.