Meaning and Examples of Security Alert Signs | Consequences of Neglecting the Security Alert Signs Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 4 Security Education
NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Source of Insecurity | How to Prevent Insecurity Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 3 Security Education
TOPIC – SECURITY ALERTS SIGNS
2. Meaning and Examples of Security Alert
3. Traffic Lights and Functions
4. Consequences of Neglecting the Security Alert
5. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of security alert.
2. identify security alert signs.
3. discuss the importance of security alert.
Some of the pupils can identify some of the security signs.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing different security alert signs.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF SECURITY ALERTS
Security alerts are signals send to inform people of the danger ahead.
MEANING OF SECURITY ALERT SIGNS
Security Alert Signs are tools used to indicate danger ahead.
EXAMPLES OF SECURITY ALERT SIGNS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Display charts showing security alert signs for pupils to identify and describe.
1. Traffic signs
2. Beware of Dogs
3. Limbs May Fall
4. No entry – Authorized Persons Only
5. High Voltage
6. Use Hamlet
7. Car Seat Belt Alarm
8. Fire Alarm
9. Danger zone
10. No smoking
11. Turn Off Engine or Handset
10. Keep Out of Reach of Children and Pets, etc.
CONSEQUENCES OF NEGLECTING SECURITY ALERT SIGNS
Consequence means something that happens when you do something in the wrong way.
The security alert signs are to inform us about the danger ahead. It will be very dangerous to neglect the warning.
The consequences of neglecting the security alert or sign are as follows:
2. Arrest and punishment
3. Endanger other people
4. Permanent or temporary injury. For r example – dog bit, burn, electric shock, etc.
5. Embarrassment or insult
LESSON 2 – TRAFFIC LIGHT
Traffic light is the signal used to control the free movement of traffic.
They are placed on roads.
There different colors of lights that tell the drivers what to do.
The red colour means STOP.
Red light tells drivers to stop.
The yellow colour means READY TO GO
Yellow light tells drivers to stop when it is safe to, because the light is about to turn red.
The green colour means GO
Green light tells the drivers to start driving or keep driving.
IMPORTANCE OF TRAFFIC SIGNS
The importance of traffic signs are as follows:
1. It controls movements.
2. It conducts orderly flow of movement.
3. It reduces road accidents.
4. The traffic lights make the road safer for the users.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Teacher revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or understanding.
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class and available instructional materials.
3. Teacher displays charts showing most of the sign alert signs.
4. Teacher lets the pupils identify and describe the signs. For example, sign with dog and text (beware of dog).
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain the security sign alert.
5. Teacher uses the pupils relevant responses to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of the lesson.
6. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning of security sign alert with appropriate examples.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners participate actively in the class discussion.
7. Teacher uses chart to explain meaning and importance traffic light signs.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners state the function of each traffic colour and analyze their importance on the roads.
8. Teacher guides pupils to identify and state the consequences of neglecting security sign or alert.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners analyze the consequences of neglecting the security signs or alert in their communities.
9. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board by asking appropriate questions.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Security Colours and Their Meaning Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 5 Security Education
Teacher asks pupils to,
1. explain the meaning of security alert sign.
2. state 5 examples of security alert sign.
3. discuss 3 consequences of neglecting security alert signs.
4. state the function of red, yellow and green colour of traffic light.
5. mention 3 importance of traffic light.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. _________ are signal send to inform people of the danger ahead.
A. Security alerts
B. Security man
C. Security signs
2. _________ are tools used for informing people of the danger ahead .
A. Security alerts
B. Security man
C. Security signs
4. Traffic light has _________ colours.
5. _________ is the signal used to control the free movement of traffic.
A. Traffic movement
B. Traffic lights
C. Traffic man
6. The colour that tells the drivers to stop is _________.
7. The yellow colour tell the drivers to _________.
A. READY TO GO
8. _________ tells the driver to start driving or keep driving.
Explain the following –
9. Beware of Dog
10. High Voltage