Meaning and Types of Building Primary 4 (Basic 4) | Materials Needed for Building Term 3 Week 3 Basic Science and Technology
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Shape Construction with Wood and Metal | Materials and Tools Used Shape Construction Primary 4 (Basic 4) Term 3 Week 2 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – SPECIFICAL BUILDING
2. Meaning and Types of Buildings
3. Materials Used for Building
4. Meaning and Types of Special Buildings
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of building.
2. state materials used for building houses.
3. say the meaning of special building.
4. mention the types of special buildings.
The pupils can explain the meaning of building with appropriate examples.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart showing different types of building.
2. Chart showing different materials needed for building.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Relevant link – Identification of Types of Building – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 4)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Shelter is one of the basic needs of life.
A shelter is a basic architectural structure or building that provides protection from the local environment.
Having a place of shelter, of safety and of retreat, i.e. a home, is commonly considered a fundamental human needs.
Sometimes, it is called house or home.
MEANING OF BUILDING
Building is a structure with walls and a roof, such as a house, factory, school, church or mosque, shop, etc.
TYPES OF SPECIAL BUILDING
Special Building is a building used for a particular purpose such as,
1. Residential buildings
2. Educational or Institutional Building –
3. Assembly Buildings
4. Factory and Industrial Buildings
5. Worship Center
6. Business Building
7. Hospital Building
8. Correctional building
9. Sport centre
10. Hotel building
A residential building is a building where a person may live or stay on daily basis.
Residential building is also known as house or home.
EDUCATIONAL OR INSTITUTIONAL BUILDINGS
An education building is an academic building where people teach or learn.
- Nursery and primary schools
- Secondary schools
- Polytechnic and College of Education
Education building is also called school, institutional or academic building.
Assembly building is a building where people gather for different purposes.
People gathered for different reasons such as worship, ceremony, amusement, entertainment, deliberation, dining, drinking, education, entertainment, instruction, etc.
Examples of assembly building are,
- Church or Mosque
- Banks, etc.
FACTORY AND INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS
A factory building is a building where goods and services are made available for private and general use.
It is a place where people manufacture, alter, repair, clean wash, break-up, adapt or process any goods and services.
A worship centre is a building or place of worship.
Business building is a building where commercial activities take place.
- Filling Station
- Shopping Mall, etc.
Hospital building is a building used for medical, surgical, psychiatric, nursing or custodial care on a 24-hour basis, including convalescent facilities, social rehabilitation centers, mental hospitals, detoxification facilities, and alcohol and drug centers.
A correctional building or centre is a public or private building used for confinement of people convicted of serious crimes.
Sport complex is a building or part of a building where different games are played.
For example – stadium, tennis court, swimming sport, etc.
A hotel building is a building where people pay to stay for a short period, vacation or holiday.
LESSON 2 – MATERIALS NEEDED FOR BUILDING
Building materials are materials used for the construction such as,
4. Block or brick
13. Plumbing materials such as pipes, wc for toilets, etc.
14. Electrical materials such as wire, sockets, etc.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENTS
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher displays a chart showing different kind of buildings.
3. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pair depending on the size of the class.
4. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to identify the contents of the chart and describe.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe the contents of the chart.
5. Teacher uses pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of the lesson.
6. Teacher leads a discussion on meaning and types of special building.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of special building with appropriate examples.
7. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to make a list of materials needed for a building like a school, church or mosque.
Pupil’s Activities – As a group or pair, make a list of materials needed for a building like a school, church or mosque.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with appropriate evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Meaning and Types of Vehicles | External Parts of Vehicle | Advantages (Uses) and Disadvantages of Vehicles Primary 4 (Basic 4) Term 3 Week 4 Basic Science and Technology
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of building.
2. state the why a building is special.
3. mention 5 types of special buildings in your community.
4. describe the following:
5. list 10 materials needed for building.