RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CULTURAL AND SOCIAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Marriage Primary 3 (Basic 3) – Social Studies
TOPIC – TYPES OF MARRIAGES
1. Introductory Questions
2. Types of Marriage
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of marriage.
2. identify major types of marriages in our community.
The pupils can explain the meaning of marriage and identity a man with one wife or more wives.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pictures of husbands and wives. (Couples).
2. Pictures or photographs that shows types of marriages.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Marriage is a lawful and acceptable union of a man and woman to make up a family.
There are different types of marriage. Each types of marriage is determined by the number of wife/wives or husband(s).
TYPES OF MARRIAGES
Note – at this age, monogamy and polygamy are enough.
MEANING OF MONOGAMY AND POLYGAMY MARRIAGE
Monogamy marriage is a union of a man and a woman.
That is, a man marries one wife.
Polygamy marriage is a union of man with two or more wives.
That’s, a man marries more than one wife.
LESSON 2 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions.
2. Uses role playing process to demonstrate types of marriages.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the role playing of polygamous and monogamous families.
3. Summarizes each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of marriage
2. identify two types of marriage in our community.