NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME: NATIONAL ECONOMY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Communication | Types of Electronic Communication | Problems and Solutions to the Problems of Electronic Communications Term 2 Week 10 Social Studies
2. Meaning and Types of Transportation
3. Meaning and Forms of Land Transportation
4. Problems of Land Transportation
5. Solutions to the Problems of Land Transportation
6. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain what we mean by land transportation.
2. state the means of land transportation.
3. list types of land transportation.
4. state the problems of land transportation in Nigeria.
5. mention ways of solving the problems of land transportation.
The pupils can explain the meaning of transportation and its uses.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart of car, bus, bicycle, motorcycle, canoe, ship, aeroplane, helicopter, train, horse, donkey, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Transportation is the movement of people and goods from one place to another by land, water or air.
TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION
There are three (3) types of transportation –
1. Land transportation
2. Water transportation
3. Air transportation
Land transportation is the movement of people and goods from one place to another by land.
FORMS OF LAND TRANSPORTATION
There are two (2) forms of land transportation.
2. Rail Transportation
Road transportation is the use of cars, lorries, buses, bicycles, trucks and animals to move people and goods from one place to another on the road.
Rail transportation is the use of train to move people and goods from one place to another on the railway.
ADVANTAGES OF LAND TRANSPORTATION
The advantages/importance of land transportation are –
1. It is safer.
2. It is economical for common man.
3. It gives access even to the common man.
4. It makes door to door service possible.
5. It is easy to manage.
6. It connects the rural and urban.
LESSON 2 – PROBLEMS OF LAND TRANSPORTATION?
The problems of land transportation are –
1. Bad roads
2. Careless driving
3. Poor land transportation system
4. Bad road management
5. Poor of maintenance culture
6. Poor road network
7. Poor traffic lights
8. Disobedience to traffic rules
10. Congestion of road users especially in Lagos
11. Too much of illegal collections especially in Lagos
12. Bribery of traffic officials
14. The trains are very dirty
15. The trains are very slow
17. The trains are not enough
18. It is very expensive.
LESSON 3 – SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS OF LAND TRANSPORTATION
The following are some of the ways of solving the problems of land transport:
1. Fixed the bad roads.
2. Adequate roads network to solve the problems of one roads.
3. The streets should tarred to supplement the major roads.
4. Offenders of traffic rules should be punish.
5. More traffic lights should be installed to reduce the stress of traffic officials.
6. Government should put a stop to all illegal collections.
7. Government should invest on road and railway transportation.
8. The activities of NURTW should be regulated.
9. Light and fast train should be provided.
10. More railway should be constructed to link cities and states.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson.
2. Teacher displays showing chart showing road and tail transportations.
3. Teacher lets the pupils identify and differentiate between road and rail transportations.
Pupil’s Activities – State the different between road and rail transportations.
4. Teacher uses pupils responses to introduce the lesson by telling them, road and rail transportation are forms of land transportation.
5. Teacher leads pupils to explain the meaning of land transportation and state its forms.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the meaning and forms of land transportation.
6. Teacher displays means of road and rail transportations.
7. Teacher lets pupils in group or pair to classify means of land transportation as road and rail transportations.
Pupil’s Activities – Classify means of land transportation as road and rail transportations.
8. Teacher leads a discussion on the advantages of land transportation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in class discussion by stating the advantages/importance of land transportation.
9. Teacher displays chart showing some of the problems of land transportations.
10. Teacher lets pupils identify the problems, describe and suggested solutions.
11. Teacher uses the chart and pupils responses to lead a discussion on the problems and solutions to the problems.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion by stating problems of land transportation with their appropriate solutions.
12. Summarizes each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – national water supply.
Teacher asks pupils to –
1. explain the meaning of land transportation.
2. state 2 forms of land transportation.
3. mention 4 means of road transportation.
4. name one means of rail transportation.
5. mention 4 problems of land transportation in Nigeria.
6. state 4 ways of solving the problems of land transportation.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. Transportation is the movement of _________ and _________ goods from one place to another.
2. Aeroplane – air, ship – water and _________ – land.
(a) Lexus jeep
(b) private jet
3. _________ is the movement of people and goods from one place to another by land.
(a) Lane transportation
(b) Land transportation
(c) Line transportation
4. _________ by road and _________ by rail.
(a) Bicycle and bus
(b) Bus and train
(c) Train and bicycle
State 3 problems of land transportation.
Mention 3 solutions to the problems listed above.