CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: ARTS AND CRAFTS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – BEAD WORK
2. Meaning/Definition of Bead and Beadwork
3. Materials Needed for Bead Production
4. Production of Bead Production
5. Uses of Beads
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain what beads are.
2. produce beaded jewellery.
3. state uses of beads.
The students can identified and state the uses of beads.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Roll paper
4. Bottle tops
5. Plastic thread
6. Threads, needles, scissors, jewellery, small pieces of woods, beads, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING/DEFINITION OF BEAD WORK
A bead is a small piece of stone, glass, shell, bone, wood, plastic, decorative object that threaded with other to form a necklace or rosary (Roman Catholic) or misbaha (Muslim) in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Beadwork is the art and craft of making things with beads.
MATERIALS FOR BEADS PRODUCTION
Production of beads using the following –
2. Roll paper
5. Small pieces of wood.
6. Bottle tops, etc.
PRODUCTION OF BEADS JEWELLERY
Leads the students to produce different beads jewellery.
USES OF BEADED JEWELLERIES
1. Prayer, devotion and worship e.g. rosary for Roman Catholic and misbaha for Muslim.
3. Fashion (as part of dressing).
4. Culture (as part of traditional wedding, cultural outfit, etc.).
5. Counting lesson (abacus for arithmetic and counting materials for kids).
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Explains the meaning of bead works.
Student’s Activities – Explain the art of bead making.
3. Guides students in cutting, rolling, gumming and stringing of Beads.
4. Assists students to prepare straw, seeds and other materials for Bead work.
5. Makes jewellery with paper, seeds, beads straw, etc.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the production of beaded works like necklace, bangles, ear rings, etc.
6. States uses of Beads.
Student’s Activities – Mention uses of beads.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. name materials for bead making.
2. make a set of jewellery from beads.