BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Advantages of Computer Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Computer Studies
TOPIC – COMPUTER HARDWARES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Computer Hardware
3. Components of Computer Hardware
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. state the meaning of computer hardware;
2. list the hardware components of a computer.
The pupils can identify the parts of a computer that can be seen and touch.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
3. System unit
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary 4
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Get a functional computer, touch each part of computer hardwares for the pupils to identify by name.
Pupil’s Activities – This is a monitor, keyboard, etc.
Teacher’s remark – Correct. Each part of computer hardware identified are known as computer hardware. There are two components of computer, computer hardware is one of them.
Discuss the meaning (features) of computer hardwares. After discussion summary on the board.
MEANING OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
Computer hardware is the physical component of computer that we can see and touch.
EXAMPLE OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
4. system unit
8. Card reader
9. Flash drive
FEATURES OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
1. It can see.
2. It can touch.
3. It can feel.
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display a chart showing the components of computer hardware for the pupils to examine and state them.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class activities.
Teacher’s remark – Good job you for active participation. The above computer hardwares can be classified into different parts. Discuss and summary the components of computer hardware.
COMPONENTS OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
1. Input Devices
2. Output Devices
3. Processing Devices
4. Storage Devices
5. System Devices
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Shows the computer hardware components that make up the computer.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe the hardware components.
3. Displays pictures showing different parts of the computer hardware components.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label the computer hardware components.
4. Summary of the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as I write.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of hardware;
2. identify two components of the computer hardware.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. __________ is the physical component of computer that we can see and touch.
A. Computer hardware
2. __________ is the part of the computer can be see and touch.
C. Computer hardware
3. Monitor is a computer hardware.
C. It is not.
4. Computer hardware is __________ part of computer.
5. State 5 computer hardwares.