Meaning of Maintenance | Needs for Maintenance | Advantages of Maintenance | Materials Needed for Maintenance | Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 2 Week 11 Basic Science and Technology
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Materials Used in Technology – Meaning of Materials | Types of Materials | Uses of Different Materials Used in Technology Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 2 Week 10 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – NEEDS FOR MAINTENANCE
2. Meaning of Maintenance
3. The Needs for Maintenance
4. Advantages of Maintenance
5. Simple Maintenance Activities and Materials Needed
6. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of maintenance
2. state the need for maintenance.
3. mention the advantages of maintenance.
4. list materials used for maintenance.
The purpose of maintenance is to ensure that our equipment are in good working condition always.
A breakdown in plants and machines cloud be as a result of inadequate maintenance. In all work place, houses, schools and roads, maintenance is needed in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
The concept of maintenance will be enable the pupils to appreciate the importance of maintenance in our daily lives.
The pupils can identify and use materials used for keeping objects in good conditions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
6. Pieces of metal
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Meaning and Importance of Maintenance – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 5)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Maintenance is an activity that should be carried out on regular basis in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
THE NEEDS FOR MAINTENANCE/IMPORTANCE OF MAINTENANCE
1. It makes our equipment last long.
2. It prevents us from dangers. For example, accidents at home or in the school.
3. It saves us from embarrassment.
4. It prevents our equipments and materials from rustling.
5. It beautifies our home and environment.
6. It reduces (saves) waste of money.
LESSON 2 – SIMPLE MAINTENANCE AND MATERIALS NEEDED FOR MAINTENANCE
Maintenance could be as simple as the following:
1. Dusting the tables, refrigerator, fan, etc.
2. Sweeping the floor.
3. Mopping the floor.
4. Polishing or cleaning the furniture.
5. Replacing faculty electrical parts.
6. Polishing or cleaning shoes.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR MAINTENANCE
The following are the materials used for maintenance,
6. Sand paper
9. Soap, etc.
LESSON 3 – MAINTENANCE ACTIVITIES
Teacher leads and guides pupils in groups or pairs to carry simple maintenance in their classroom.
- Cleaning the standing or ceiling fan, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pair depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays chart showing a man cleaning a standing fan and a woman cleaning the kitchen utensils.
4. Teacher asks to examine the chart and describe the activities of the man and woman.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe the activities on the chart.
5. Teacher listens to the pupils and uses their responses to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of the lesson.
6. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning and needs for maintenance.
Pupil’s Activities – Explains the meaning of maintenance and state needs for maintenance.
7. Teacher guides pupils to state simple maintenance in school and at home.
Pupil’s Activities – State other maintenance activities.
8. Teacher asks pupils to state the basic materials needed for maintenance.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the materials used for maintenance.
9. Teacher organizes a simple maintenance in the classroom.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the simple maintenance activities.
10. Teacher summarizes the lesson with appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary by responding correctly to the lesson evaluation and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Week 12 – Revision and Week 13 – Second Term Examination Basic Science and Technology Primary 5 (Basic 5)
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of maintenance.
2. state 5 reasons why maintenance is needed.
3. state 5 simple maintenance in the school or at home.
4. mention 5 materials used for maintenance.
1. Maintenance is an activity that should be carried out on regular basis in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
2. _________ is an activity that should be carried out on regular basis in order to keep equipment in good working condition.
3. Maintenance makes engines to be in _________.
A. good working condition
B. poor working condition
C. bad working condition
4. Dusting sweeping and mopping cannot keep equipments in good condition.
C. Correct and incorrect
5. Match the following with the correct terms.
- Broom to make shoe shine.
- Duster to clean wet floor.
- Mob to clean dust
- Polish sweep a dirt environment.